Re: 1940s tank car questions

al_brown03

That gives the impression -- correct me if I've misunderstood -- that
one couldn't back a gasoline tank *truck* up to a tank *car*: the
consignee's storage tank had to be permanent. The exception for road
oil is crystal clear (a strange term to use in connection with this
commodity!), and in fact the Rutland had numerous team tracks to
which road oil was delivered (per Nimke's books). Fuel oil too, eh? I
take it they mean the heavy stuff, and I'll have to look it up.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "John Hile" <john66h@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "ed_mines" <ed_mines@> wrote:

Did any customers unload gasoline from a team track or a siding as
they needed it?
FWIW, here is the text of Rule 35, Section 8, from a 1925 La Salle
Consolidated Freight Classification book...

"Inflammable Liquids having a flash point lower than 200 degrees
Fahrenheit, including Petroleum and Petroleum Products, other than
Fuel or Road Oil, in tank cars, must not be shipped and will not be
delivered unless consigned to parties accepting delivery on private
sidings, equipped with facilities for piping the liquid from tank
cars
to permanent storage tanks, or consigned to parties accepting
delivery
from Railroad Sidings where facilities exist for piping the liquid
from tank cars to permanent storage tanks."

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA