Re: 1940s tank car questions

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

That gives the impression -- correct me if I've misunderstood --
that one couldn't back a gasoline tank *truck* up to a tank *car*: the
consignee's storage tank had to be permanent.

That was my interpretation as well.

But, having said that, Rule 1 of the same publication seems to allow
for carriers and consignors to ship items "not subject" to the
provisions of the Official Classification, yet still "limited only as
provided by common law and by the laws of the United States and of the
several States in so far as they apply,..." and "not inconsistent with
such common carrier's liability,..." Rule 1 seems to be geared toward
allowing alternate rates when items are not sent subject to the
Official Classification. Whether that includes the ability to avoid
the restrictions of Rule 35, I do not know.

From a legal standpoint, adhering to Rule 35 certainly makes sense for
the carrier, as it would greatly reduce their liability by eliminating
the handling on their property of certain (most?) volatile petroleum
products. Also, providing for the appropriate facilities at a team
track my not be economically attractive for any given carrier...fire
protection, spill containment, steam heat, pump maintenance, car
grounding, etc.

The "Petroleum or Petroleum Products" listed in the rating section of
the Official Classification are:
Belt Oil
Benzine
Crude Oil
Cordage Oil
Felt Oil
Floor Oil
Fuel Oil
Gas Oil
Gas, Liquefied
Gasoline
Harness Oil
Leather Oil
Miners' Oil
Miners' Oil Stock
Naphtha
Naphtha Distillate
Neatsfoot Oil
Paint Oil
Putty Oil
Refined Oil Distillate
Refined Oil, illuminating or burning
Soap Oil
Tanner's Oil
Tobacco Oil
Transformer Oil
Wool Oil
Oil, N.O.I.B.N (Not Otherwise Indexed By Name)
Grease, Axle
Grease, Lubricating, other than Axle Grease
Grease, N.O.I.B.N
Lubricating Oil

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA