Re: 6 Dome wine tank cars

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Kurt,

I think you are going to discover that the tank is too large, and maybe the expansion domes are as well. IIRC, AHM's original tank car was a knock-off of the oversized Athearn 3-dome tank car. Later the frame and bottom sheet tooling were reused to make more oversized "models" of certain other tank cars, including the 6-dome wine cars. Back in those days, almost nobody noticed or cared. The AHM car should dimension out to around 11,000 U.S. gallons, which is probably way too large for the real wine cars (likely around 8,000 U.S. gallons). If you check Jim Eager's D&RGW book (you do have this book don't you?), you will find a photo of the water car you mentioned earlier. I don't have my copy at had, but Jim usually gives the facts like the capacity in his text. If you don't have this book, let me know and I will check for you next week. In short, your car is probably going to be a stand-in, and if you don't mind, that's fine.

By the way, I seem to recall that this tank fit the Athearn frame and bottom sheet. Even though it will still be a "stand-in", the Athearn parts are much better than the AHM, and will have the advantage of coupler draft gear mounted on the frame instead of "taglo" trucks.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Kurt Laughlin wrote:

Now I realize these are "train set" cars, but what I've read says that the biggest problem with them is the fact that they are uninsulated. The AHM car I got with my set back in '72 or so *is* insulated, so I wonder if that makes them closer to something?

KL

----- Original Message -----

Eddie Stavleu wrote:

I have the HO Roco cars that will do me for these. D&RGW had one as a
water car for MOW
If these are only stand-in or "fun" cars, the Roco ones are fine,
but be aware they are not even close to a prototype.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.