From: Richard Hendrickson
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, 23 February, 2008 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Wabash 65' mill gons

On Feb 23, 2008, at 2:49 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

> I wanted to add a Wabash 65' mill gon to the layout. I planned to use
> Ted's
> decals and repaint one I picked up cheap. Now I see athearn has done
> the
> Wabash scheme as well. Do the Wabash experts know if there are
> problems with
> the Wabash factory paint on the athearn car? I don't mind painting and
> decaling but one less project would be nice.

Brian, I haven't seen one of these models yet, so it would be good to
get an evaluation by a Wabash maven like Chet French who has actually
had an opportunity to compare the model with the prototype data.
However, when the 65' gons were under development, I sent several
photos of the Wabash cars to Craig Walker, their R&D guy, and he
generally does a fine job with paint and lettering if he has good
information to work from. The problem at Athearn isn't their R&D
department, it's the sales department that insists on putting bogus P/L
schemes on models (e.g., in the case of the 65' mill gons, NKP, MP, and
NP) when there were correct prototypes like the Wabash cars that could
have been modeled. Now that they've done the Wabash car, I may have to
get one, even though I probably already have too many 65' mill gons and
will have to rotate them on my diorama.

Richard Hendrickson