Re: Tichy Georgia SS rebuild

al_brown03

After sanding the original carlines all the way off the roof, I decided
to model the weld overlaps. I used strips, whose difficulty is their
thickness. The styrene strips I found (thinnest Evergreen sells)
are .010" thick, which is about a scale 7/8" in HO. But if I understand
correctly, the extra thickness at the overlaps should be the thickness
of the roof sheet, since two are overlapped there. Poking through
the '22 CBC, I find thicknesses of 1/8" or so; an HO scale 1/8" is
about .0014". That's *thin*! So I glued strips down and sanded them
until they started to catch on the sandpaper, but I still think they're
over scale thickness. I hope to bring the car to Cocoa Beach next year,
and y'all can decide if I made convincing weld overlaps or if they just
look like wider flatter carlines.

If I were doing another one, I'd sand the original carlines down until
they were barely visible and smooth their edges with a little putty. I
may do it, just to see if it works.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "gd3006" <gbd99@...> wrote:

There is another surviving car in East Point, original number not
known.
It has been sprayed brown and given L&N reporting marks -for some
strange reason- but but was silver/black upon its arrival in that
location, so I am told. The roof on this car is a welded lap seam.
The are 11 laps 6" in width, centered above the original carlines,
for a total of 12 panels. Panel width varies somewhat, as the carline
spacing is not uniform. The laps are at a higher level than the
balance
of the roof, so cementing strips to the model's roof would be more
effective than trying to simulate weld beads.
I've driven by Midsouth Supply, but never noticed those cars. I'll
have
to pay attention next time...
Graham Dean