Re: Express Reefer shipments

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Tim O'Connor Jeff

Yes, I think the railroad could deliver an express reefer to almost any freight depot or team track along a passenger train route for unloading (or even sale) by a wholesaler. I supposeit's even possible the express reefer could be moved to the unloading spot by a wayfreight. Union rules might have limited the railroad's options in such cases (i.e. do you pay extra wages to the passenger train crew because they have to deliver an express car?)

I think I can answer the work rules question. A passenger train could pick up or drop a car at any passneger station where there was not a switch engine on duty. The knid of car didn’t matter. But of course you wouldn’t see that happening with an ordinary freight car that didn’t have steam or train signal line connections. As for a passenger train doing that work at a team track or freight station, I’ve not heard of it – seems like a very gray area in regard to work rules. My suspicion is that the crew would claim a day at local freight wages if required to do that. The claim would be denied by management and most likely awarded when it got to the NRAB level.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478