Re: Express Reefer shipments

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

PTJ ran some 1969 (?) photos many years ago that showed a passenger
train on the PC at Kokomo, IN setting off an REA express reefer. The
car was on the tail end of the train, and the crew shoved it into a
track at the passenger station.

CN and CPR both carried express cars on the tail end of passenger
trains in the 1950's. Being on the tail end of the train, the cars'
steam and air signal pipes were not connected. This simplified
cutting off the cars, as the cars set off only had to have the hand
brake applied on, and the angle cock closed ahead of, the cars being
set off. Markers would be moved to the new tail end as the cars were
set off.

Recognised train crew work under collective agreeements in both
Canada and the US always included setting off or lifting cars en
route--whether in passenger OR freight service. Some CN passenger
trains setting off and lifting express cars enroute had only the
conductor wearing a uniform--the brakeman and baggagemen wore
overalls at work because of the switching and breaking/connecting of
steam, air signal, and brake pipes en route.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., Malcolm Laughlin
<mlaughlinnyc@...> wrote:

Posted by: "Tim O'Connor Jeff

Yes, I think the railroad could deliver an express reefer to almost
any freight depot or team track along a passenger train route for
unloading (or even sale) by a wholesaler. I supposeit's even possible
the express reefer could be moved to the unloading spot by a
wayfreight. Union rules might have limited the railroad's options in
such cases (i.e. do you pay extra wages to the passenger train crew
because they have to deliver an express car?)
-----------

I think I can answer the work rules question. A passenger train
could pick up or drop a car at any passneger station where there was
not a switch engine on duty. The knid of car didn't matter. But of
course you wouldn't see that happening with an ordinary freight car
that didn't have steam or train signal line connections. As for a
passenger train doing that work at a team track or freight station,
I've not heard of it – seems like a very gray area in regard to work
rules. My suspicion is that the crew would claim a day at local
freight wages if required to do that. The claim would be denied by
management and most likely awarded when it got to the NRAB level.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478