Re: Question about 1923 ARA boxcar (not 1932)

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 03:09:57 -0000, rwitt_2000 wrote
The B&O cars should have been a common sight in interchange even into
the 1960's.

From the 1960 B&O Summary of Equipment the B&O still operated 12,120
class M-26 and subclasses of their ARA style boxcars. This represents
only a 13.4% reduction in the total fleet of 14,000cars that were
constructed between 1925 and 1931. From the January 1964 ORER the
B&O still operated 10,140 class M-26 and subclasses boxcars. This still
only represents a 28.5% reduction in the total fleet after nearly 40
years of service.
Bob, starting to get to the end of our era but I have a question. Do you
know if later in life the B&O cars were still in revenue service at those
later dates. There is evidence that the Pennsy's large fleet of X29's,
though still in the ORER were sitting idle in yards waiting to be scrap
since the small size of the car made them undesirable to the shipper. I
guess I am asking did the B&O have the same problem?

Brian Carlson