Re: photographic print vs. scan

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 6, 2008, at 5:49 AM, gn3397 wrote:

Hello all,
I am hoping once again to tap into the collective wisdom of the
group. I recently discovered that you can order prints from the NMRA
collection. They charge 15.00 for a 8"x10" print, or 5.00 for a
600-dpi
TIFF scan, intended to print at 8"x10". I am wondering the best route
to take. I know that a B&W print stored properly will outlive me, but
could also print the images from the CD as well. Are most commercial
photo printers able to print from TIFF files? I would like the ability
to have a hard copy to use while working on a model. I am unfamiliar
with this format, and know that JPEGs are compressed and you lose some
image detail. What does everyone on the the list do with their
collections? Thanks.
600 DPI TIFF files are very high res, and will give you 8X10 images
that rival photographic prints (and are much better than what you'll
see on your computer screen).

Anyone with a high quality ink-jet computer printer can make prints
from these files; you don't need to take them to a commercial printer.
You might want to consider investing in such a printer for your
personal use, as they are not astronomically expensive.

Richard Hendrickson