Re: photographic print vs. scan

gn3397 <heninger@...>

Group,

According to the research assistant at the Kalmbach Library, the prints are actually
printed from a scan of the photo. I was also told that to burn the scans to a CD would
result in a charge of $5.00 for the first photo, and then I would only be billed a $15.00/hr
research fee dependent on how long it will take them to burn the CD. This seems to be
contrary to their website fee schedule. I sent my order by email late Friday afternoon, so I
expect an email back early next week informing me of the actual cost.

As to the 100,000 photos, I am guessing that a significant percentage are steam
locomotive "roster shots" by a gentleman named Harold Miller. There are a good number
of steam era freight car photos, however. If you have Kline and Culotta's book, you already
have about 350 of them. They will be happy to send you a PDF list of what they have (at no
cost if you are a member), and the turnaround is less than 24 hours. There were about
15-20 GN photos that weren' t in the book, and about 50 PRR boxcar photos that didn' t
make the cut.

Hope this information is helpful to some of you.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Stanley, ND