Kadee #58 couplers

Peter Weiglin

I have found that the #58 and #5 couplers work together, and am converting gradually (perhaps too gradually) to the 58s.

Some mention was made of problems on curves because the 58s have a smaller gathering range. May I also mention the potential problem with vertical curves? Particularly, be careful of the change from level track to the start of a grade. The 58s require a more gradual vertical transition from level to grade. Cars equipped with 58s are more likely to uncouple at that transition point, where cars equipped with 5s would not have a problem.

On my old layout in California, I had to go back and ease the transition somewhat at one place, adjusting risers and roadbed. I now use two hi-cube cars (not within the STMFC time period, but helpful) equipped with #58 couplers to test all trackwork. If they stay together, chances are everything else will too.

Peter Weiglin
Amelia, OH