Speedwich decals for SK-R

Dean Payne

I've been doing some decals lately, Champ and Westerfield, and decided
to tackle my ATSF stock car. The instructions say to use water, not
setting solution for the first application. No matter, as when I went
to apply the decals to the car, they came off individually: "A" "."
"T" "." etc. Likewise, the car numbers. Now, I had been shuffling
individual numbers to get the proper car numbers and new and reweigh
dates on my Champ sets, but this was more work than I had planned.
Especially, I soaked my dim. data a short time, but it also came off
as individual letters. I gave up on that!
I understand that a thin backing is desireable so that it blends in,
but it appears that I have no backing at all. Can I get one by
spraying gloss or flat over the decal sheet? This would make things
easier for me. Or, is there something I am doing wrong? Do I need to
apply them within 10 seconds of wetting, or something?
Dean Payne