Fw: Crankpins for a model steam locomotive - an Arbour Models 4-6-0

Richard White

Dear Members,
Some time ago I posted the following message on the group with a request for help:

I bought an Arbour models Sylvania Central 4-6-0 locomotive kit on E-bay a few months ago.

I am now assembling the kit, which is enjoyable, but have discovered that it has 5 short crank-pins and only one long one, when it should have two long (to accomodate both connecting rods and coupling rods) and four short (which accomodate coupling rods only).

The crankpins screw into a hex-head nut which fits into a moulded cavity in the back of the driving wheel. The outside diameter of the thread is 1.4 mm according to my vernier caliper. I am unfamiliar with US threads, so I don't know what thread has been used on the crankpins. There is a shoulder 2.2 mm in diameter, followed by the bearing area for connecting and coupling rods which is 1.5 mm in diameter. At the outer end, the crank pin steps down to 1.2 mm diameter and a brass cap makes a force fit on this to hold the whole assembly together. The short crank-pins are 6.8 mm long and the long ones are 7.7 mm long overall.

One member said that Bowser bought up Arbour models and I should contact them.

I did so but Lee English has responded to say that Bowser never put these kits on the market after they bought the company and do not have spare parts for them.

Does anyone else have any ideas about where I might source a replacement?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Richard White

i do not have any ideas for a substitute
Thank you

Lee English

I haven't had a reply to this query from you and am unable to make further progress with the model.
Please help,
Thank you and best wishes
Richard White
I have been informed by someone on the Steam Era Freight Car Discussion Group that you company bought up Arbour Models.

[...]

Do you stock these crankpins or can you tell me where I can get spares?

Thank you for your help

Richard White