Re: car condition on 31 August 57

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
On the erielack list, a consist was posted for train 11 on that date, as follows:
Train 12 (Marion to Youngstown)
1140 (Passenger Baldwin)
CNW 7870 and SP 102117 (Stock cars for cattle pick-up at Galion from NYC)
This is a mid-summer, non-holiday consist. I can't find any listing for stock cars with those
numbers in my ORER, so I don't know what they are.
In this consist, they are listed as "Stock cars." Any thoughts about how to interpret this? It IS a second-hand document that's quoted.
Neither one of them WAS a stock car in the livestock sense, then or later. They may have meant some other kind of stock, e.g. merchandise. But those ain't what we call stock cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history