Re: Pere Marquette boxcar questions

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 19, 2008, at 2:42 PM, water.kresse@... wrote:

It becomes more complicated because of the 1947 merger into the C&O.
First many of the 85000-series cars became 55XXX-series PM single-door
box cars. Then for some reason these cars didn't appear to get C&O
reporting marks. Other series seems to have picked up the C&O 255XXX
series numbers.
Al, it's my impression that the C&O didn't bother to renumber ex-PM
cars or restencil them with C&O reporting marks if they were slated for
early retirement, as these wood-bodied cars doubtless were at the time
the PM freight car fleet was transferred to the C&O. I've noticed that
some other older PM cars also were never integrated into the C&O
roster.

Richard Hendrickson