Re: DWP/CN 40' DD cars, wasRe: McKEAN KIT - SOUTHERN 40-FT DOUBLE DOOR BOXCAR

Carl J. Marsico <Carlmarsico@...>

Garth,

Just for clarification, I'm trying to determine whether this car is in its original configuration, e.g. former double door auto service car reassigned to lumber service vs. a 60's era rebuild from a single door car.

The modern DWP (and subsequently back to CN) version of this car just happens to be the only CN-family car I know of offhand that has the "flavor" (for lack of a better word) of the McKean/Accurail car, and I'm trying to determine whether a CN steam-era counterpart of this car even exists.

I also have one of these McKean cars squirreled away and am investigating the options out there...

CJM

"Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...> wrote:
Carl,

Well, if this car was rebuilt in the 1960s, it doesn't fit anywhere, at
least as far as this group is concerned.

In any case, the DWC car has a 4/4 early Dreadnaught end (rolling
pin-shaped wales. The McKeen/Accurail car has an R-3/4 late improved
Dreadnaught end (banana-shaped wales). You could probably chop the sides
from a McKeen car, mating them with correct ends and a diagonal panel
roof from Branchline. I did a similar conversion using interim R-3/4
Dreadnaught ends and a left-over diagonal panel Front Range roof
(Branchline would also work) to make a "Wabash-ed" 8000 series
double-door boxcar.

As far as I can see, the only real value of the McKeen kit is to
contribute its sides to a flat-kit conversion.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Carl J. Marsico wrote:

While on the topic of the McKean/Accurail 40' double door car (on STMFC), my brain eventually drifted to a similar prototype in DW&P's former CN cars, such as this:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-d/dwc581730ssa.jpg

IIRC, CN had 40' cars built with both single and double door configurations, but also started rebuilding their 40' cars with 6' doors for newsprint (e.g. 8' SD, 9' PD, yellow doors) and lumber service (e.g. 12' DD, green doors) in the 60's. Where does this car fit in?

CJM