Re: DWP/CN 40' DD cars, wasRe: McKEAN KIT - SOUTHERN 40-FT DOUBLE DOOR BOXCAR

Andy Carlson

Garth, Carl et all....
Don't forget the correct doors for the DWP car as pictured in the link are 5/6/5 tall pre-war Youngstown doors, not the post-war Y Doors supplied as molded on doors on the McKeen DD car.
-Andy

"Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...> wrote: Carl,

Well, if this car was rebuilt in the 1960s, it doesn't fit anywhere, at
least as far as this group is concerned.

In any case, the DWC car has a 4/4 early Dreadnaught end (rolling
pin-shaped wales. The McKeen/Accurail car has an R-3/4 late improved
Dreadnaught end (banana-shaped wales). You could probably chop the sides
from a McKeen car, mating them with correct ends and a diagonal panel
roof from Branchline. I did a similar conversion using interim R-3/4
Dreadnaught ends and a left-over diagonal panel Front Range roof
(Branchline would also work) to make a "Wabash-ed" 8000 series
double-door boxcar.

As far as I can see, the only real value of the McKeen kit is to
contribute its sides to a flat-kit conversion.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

While on the topic of the McKean/Accurail 40' double door car (on STMFC), my brain eventually drifted to a similar prototype in DW&P's former CN cars, such as this: