Weathering wheels, trucks, and hoppers

Dean Payne

I read a recent post on the EarlyRails group that suggested weathering
wheels with a rusty mixture on the inside face, and a grimy/oily black
mixture on the outside face. This seems to make sense, and reminded
me of a photo that bothered me, on page 95 of the January 2007 RMC.
The trucks are painted oxide red with a dusting of weathering powders.
Unfortunately, the brake shoes were missed, and the color makes them
stand out (probably more in the photo than to the naked eye). I would
expect the brake shoes to be the first things to get dirty, with brake
and wheel dust, etc. It only stands out so much because the rest of
the car is so well done.
I also remember reading to brush some oily black on the journal covers
(from Mont Switzer?) I haven't gotten that involved with weathering
trucks, yet.
Hoppers are another thing that I need to get weathered. Since they
usually are black and haul coal, I think that some rust around the
seams and some black to obscure the lettering would be a good start.
I haven't seen a good color photo of a hopper interior, I'm trying to
imagine rust and coal dust together...
I've heard that Badger Modelflex is a good acrylic rust color, my
bottle is due for replacement. Or, is PS Rail Brown preferred?

Dean Payne