Re: Wine Cars, where Did They Go

billd@...

Precisely! And I've been in some of those caves (Napa is one of my haunts when I'm up there...) and know all about them. But not all the wineries have them (such as Beaulieu) so they utilized the tender mercies of the SP. And it was a longer haul (if entirely by rail) than most would think (over to the east bay, down to Dumbarton or San Jose (yes, I know the way, Dionne!)and then up the peninsula, but on second thought, it was more likely shipped over the NWP to Sausalito and over the ferry to The City. Anyone out there know for sure???

Bill Daniels

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:48:32 -0700
Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:
Richard and all,

There is a story that goes along with that photo...seems
that summers up in Napa Valley are a bit on the warm side,
which is not condusive to proper aging. The solution was
to ship the barrels via refrigerator cars to The City (San
Franciso for the Un-Caen) for storage during the
summer...which is what is going on in this photo.
Some wineries, of course, had (and still have) underground caves for
storage and aging (e.g., Beringer Bros., Buena Vista, Schramsburg). But
shipping wine to The City to keep it cool certainly seems plausible in the
days when labor was cheap. I'm sure the Southern Pacific thought it was a
fine idea. BTW, any au courant Californian can tell you that, though there
are other cities on the west coast, there is only one City, and that's San
Francisco. Some folks from ElLay and other metropoli find this pretentious
and annoying, but what do they know?

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520