PRR Fd3 and Fd3a was Cars for shipment of nuclear materials

SUVCWORR@...

Elden,

I have very little information about these cars.

Fd3 numbers 469974 - 469999 (except Fd3a) total 25 cars
Fd3a 469998 one car

They are not in the April 1950 ORER but appear in the July 1951 ORER with
the notation "leased from the United States Army." They are not marked as a
new listing. So I can only narrow the time frame to April 1950 - April 1951
as to when they first appeared on the PRR roster. They are in the January and
April 1952 ORER's but are gone in the July 1953 ORER. Again, I do not have
a specific date when they were returned to the US Army.

There are no drawings or blueprints in the PRRT&HS collection nor on Rob
Schoenburg's site. I have not checked to see if these car numbers are the same
assigned by DOD. With such a short lease period, it is entirely possible
these cars were never in PRR paint. However, on the other hand, there is no
notation in the ORER indicating these cars carry DODX or USAX reporting marks.
I have misplaced my copy of Dick Flock's hand out for his clinic on PRR flat
cars. So I have not checked that source for any information on these cars.

My statement that I was under the impression that these cars were leased for
moving equipment into Large and Bettis was based on verbal communications
with a co-worker who is an amateur historian of sorts of Bettis and the Large
facility. He is a PA State Radiological Officer so he does have access to
some information not readily available. I have never pursued this with him as I
did not want to put him in a compromising position or a position where he
had to say he could not discuss it further. He knows my interest in railroads
and the PRR in particular so he volunteered what he either knew or could
convey.

There was a rail spur into Bettis near the water treatment plant. But any
equipment would have had to be trucked to the main facility from the rail
spur. This spur was served by either the Union or Pittsburgh and West Virginia
during the applicable time frame. I'm not sure which or it may have been both.

Rich Orr

Home.