Re: hopper question for Chuck Yungkurth

Schuyler Larrabee

I'll pile on with a question for you, Chuck: You mention that in the 70s the hopper supply was a
variegated mix of on- and off-road hoppers. How far back does that phenomenon extend? What it
similar in the 50s?

SGL

Chuck, glad to see that you're still following this list.

Were trains of off road hoppers seasonal? You've said that the
Lackawanna stored their own hoppers during the summer. At the beginning
of the anthracite season when there were enough home road hoppers I'd
expect all off road hoppers to be returned empty. As the home heating
season finished up and there were more hoppers than necessary wouldn't
it make sense to send all off road hoppers back to their owners and
only load company hoppers?

What were the loads in those western stock cars you mentioned?

Ed