Re: wandering coal cars (was B&LE triple offset hoppers)

Tim O'Connor

Chuck Yungkurth wrote

I still maintain my theory that hopper cars wandered all over because
the per diem was very low and yardmasters near the coal mines held
them until needed.
That jives perfectly with photos I've seen too Chuck. I think there
were a few special orders in place for certain eastern roads' coal
cars, but I've never heard of an order that applied to western hopper
cars so it makes a lot of sense that they'd get 'hijacked' now and then
and end up at an eastern coal tipple. GN in its 1956 annual report
complained that it had to own more cars than it had on line, because
once its cars went off line it took a long time to get them back!
And of course low per diem was a big reason for the slow conversion
to roller bearings -- no one wanted to return those cars to their
owners!