Re: Coal Loaded in Boxcars

bill_d_goat

Very common, at least in my chosen modeling era and location. I will
be
modeling a GN branchline in ND circa 1949, and almost every small
town
had a "coal shed" sitting next to the grain elevators. These were
long,
low sheds with several rail height doors facing the tracks, and lower
height doors on the opposite side of the building, which was where
the
customer would pull up their truck and buy the coal. The coal would
be
shipped in older boxcars and would be unloaded by hand into the shed,
task which was usually subcontracted to teenaged boys. The boxcars
were
equipped with "coal doors", which were nothing more than worn out or
damaged grain doors, to retain the coal.
I have read of these boxcar coal shipments which were mostly due to
avoid the coal freezing in the open hoppers, which made them very hard
to unload.
Just how much coal would be loaded into an average 40' boxcar?
Bill Williams