From: gn3397 <heninger@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 5:47 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Coal Loaded in Boxcars

--- In STMFC@..., "np328" <jcdworkingonthenp@...> wrote:

A prior post states that coal doors were nothing more than worn out
grain doors. Perhaps this was true as coal shipping was dying out in
the sixties however of research I have done, in at least the
Duluth/Superior area, extensive bookkeeping was kept of both the
grain doors and coal doors used in boxcars and these were kept
separate.
Mr. Dick,
I was the offending poster. A careless choice of words, perhaps. I was aware of the
bookkeeping efforts by the RRs and the WWIB to return grain and coal doors to their
owners. It seems rather odd that differently dimensioned lumber would be used in the
construction of the doors, unless this was done to facilitate separation of the doors. It
begs the question of what weighs more: 50 tons of grain or 50 tons of coal? If 1" lumber is
good enough for the grain door, why wouldn't it work for the coal door? Have you run
across the reasoning in your research?

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Stanley, ND