Re: Coal Loaded in Boxcars

Richard Townsend

I have seen numerous photos of wooden grain doors, and they are solid (like a wall).? I have seen exactly one photo of a wooden coal door (in an old MRG, showing a D&RGW box car) and it was not solid (more like a grille).? The?difference could more clearly (I think) be expressed as being like the difference between a box car and a stock car.? I have no idea of whether the D&RGW car's coal door was representative of such doors.? This is offered FWIW, and is suspect as it is based on only one data point, but it may point towards the differences between the two, if any.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 5:47 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Coal Loaded in Boxcars

--- In STMFC@..., "np328" <jcdworkingonthenp@...> wrote:

A prior post states that coal doors were nothing more than worn out
grain doors. Perhaps this was true as coal shipping was dying out in
the sixties however of research I have done, in at least the
Duluth/Superior area, extensive bookkeeping was kept of both the
grain doors and coal doors used in boxcars and these were kept
separate.
Mr. Dick,
I was the offending poster. A careless choice of words, perhaps. I was aware of the
bookkeeping efforts by the RRs and the WWIB to return grain and coal doors to their
owners. It seems rather odd that differently dimensioned lumber would be used in the
construction of the doors, unless this was done to facilitate separation of the doors. It
begs the question of what weighs more: 50 tons of grain or 50 tons of coal? If 1" lumber is
good enough for the grain door, why wouldn't it work for the coal door? Have you run
across the reasoning in your research?

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Stanley, ND

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.