Re: Santa Fe Accurail kits

Richard Hendrickson

On Apr 15, 2008, at 6:17 AM, David North wrote:

Richard,

ATSF rostered 70 ton 3 bays from at least 3 makers. Some of the
classes were

GA-43, GA-73 & GA-86 from ACF

GA-77 & GA-81 from PSCM

GA-100 & GA-109 & GA-121 from GAT

Is the Accurail 3 bay hopper a match for any of these?

I haven't seen one of these in the flesh. Only the pic on their
website

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/art/7500/7501.jpg

I actually thought the Stewart 70ton 3 bay was good for one/some of
these.

http://bowser-trains.com/hocars/Stew_offset/Stew_offset_hopper.htm

Now I'm wondering if these two models represent the same car.

Or perhaps more correctly if the ACF, PSCM and GAT cars are of
identical or
similar design?

The early class Ga-21 (1929) and Ga-43 (1936) three bay hoppers were
built to a design that, AFAIK, has never been modeled. The post-WW-
II Santa Fe three bay hoppers, beginning with class Ga-73, were all
built to the AAR standard design which is accurately modeled by both
the Stewart/Bowser and Accurail cars. I apologize for overlooking
the Accurail hopper as an accurate model of a Santa Fe prototype car.

Richard Hendrickson