Re: tanks on flatcars one more time

water.kresse@...

Is there not an Archives at Ft. Knox? . . . with a web page?

Al Kresse

From: Don Worthy <don_worthy@...>
Guys, I've got the book "Marine Tank Battles of the Korean War". It is full of photos of the late model Sherman tanks in action along side the new M26.

The author states that the Sherman tanks were, also, the 1st on the scene as they were already in Japan. Also, a large number of half tracks with the quad 50 cals were used.

I, also, have photos of these late model (M4A3 with the VVHS suspension) which had both 76mm in the T26 turret and the 105mm guns on flatcars leaving a camp in Georgia. I have been unable in finding out "just" which camp, although. A few guys think it must have been Ft. Benning.

Any way, the photos show one tank per flatcar. Two flats are clearly visible and a third flat has two trucks (2 1/2 ton).

One thing that I can't determine from my own photos or the ones in the book, is the lettering on the equipment. I'd like to be able to read the division, company and such.

The books photos are shots made "in action" so the only thing that is not covered up by mud or stowed equipment is the tanks number.

Could some of you help me with the proper designation "lettering" for my tanks and trucks.

I'm wanting my equipment to represent the 2nd Marines which carried on a large part of the 1st battles of Korea.

Thanks

Don Worthy

Be a better friend, newshound, and