From: "Jack Burgess" <jack@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:11 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Freight car colors...

Mixing paint to match a paint chip, a paint sample, a photo, or memory is,
for me, very difficult. One could obviously prepare 50/50 mixes of all
possible combinations of one manufacturer's paint line but there are also
possible combinations other than 50/50 and 50/25/25 possibilities.

I've given a lot of thought to how that might be done "electronically".
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a program to take samples of
paint color and easily "mix" them. However, I have played with the Gradient
Tool in Photoshop (also available in Photoshop Elements). If one scans
painted samples of two paint colors, such as Floquil Boxcar Red and Floquil
Tuscan, and open the scans in Photoshop, the Eyedropper Tool can be used to
load those colors as the Foreground and Background color. The Gradient Tool
can then be used to "mix" the two colors and produce a 50/50 or 25/75 mix or
any other proportion electronically. The resulting mixes can be saved as
color swatches and so labeled. By scanning all of the available "reds" from
one manufacturer, one could produce swatches of all possible variations.
Samples of the prototype colors could also be sampled and compared to the
mixes.

I need to develop a variation of boxcar red to match the YV cabooses I
painted many years ago (unfortunately, I didn't keep track of the
proportions back then) for a project I'm working on. I'm thinking that a
good test for the process would be to mix two reds electronically and also
physically and compare the results.

Has anyone done anything similar? Was it successful?

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com