Re: Freight car colors...

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 5/14/2008 10:00:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jack@... writes:

I can't argue that weight is the proper way to establish and document paint
mixing although it would seem that the paint machine at the local hardware
or paint store is using volume to make the resulting paint mixture. It would
seem that using volume would work in this situation if the original paint
chips were originally produced the same way. That aside, when you are mixing
up only 1/2 fluid ounces of paint to paint a box car, I can't see how one
can weigh the ingredients...if you pour the base colors into separate
containers and weigh them and then pour the colors into another container to
attach to the air brush, the paint remaining in the containers will throw
the formula off considerably. Also, I'm confused by the "parts"
reference....parts suggests volume, not weight. But, at this point, the
discussion seems moot, after Tony pointed out a fatal flaw in my approach...

Since this all started with a PRR freight car color comment,

I have before me a photocopy of PRR form 53 dated 11 November 1902 and
issued by W. W. Atterbury General Supt. Motive Power entitled "Instructions
Regarding to Mixing of P.R.R. Freight Car Color." It gives the formula by weight
and volume combination and by percentage. The first and second coats were
different formulae.
combination
weight percentage
First coat
PRR standard freight car color paste 32 pounds 32 pounds
55.2
Raw linseed oil 9 pints
81/2 pounds 40.7
Japan 3 pints
3 pounds 4.1

Second coat
PRR standard freight car color past 32 pounds 32
pounds 51.3
Raw linseed oil 12 pints
11 1/4 pounds 44.2
Japan 3 1/2 pints
3 1/2 pounds 4.5

"These are formulas are for use during the summer season and during good
weather ....."

I will scan this and post it in the files section.

Rich Orr

favorites at AOL Food.