Re: MILW boxcar -- truck color

Richard Hendrickson

On May 14, 2008, at 5:53 PM, William Keene wrote:

Hello group,

I am in the process of assembling one of the Rib Side Cars kits and
have a rather simple question...
What color were the trucks painted?

I have surfed through some websites and it appears that trucks were
painted black. But... in photos taken during our steam era (black &
white photos) it appears that the trucks are a lighter shade than what
I would consider black. Were the trucks painted the boxcar color in
the early 1950s? Or were these actually black and my old eyes are the
problem?
Bill, so far as I've been able to determine, the MILW rib side cars
were painted entirely in mineral red, including the trucks and
underbody, when new. In any event, there are color photos to
document the fact that, when repainted, (as many would have been by
the early 1950s) these cars had mineral red trucks.

Richard Hendrickson