Re: Boxcar red.. a suggestion...

leakinmywaders

First let me declare that I personally hold to the views of Brock,
Storzek and Hendrickson and others expressed here that color choice
for a model is a highly contextual, perceptual and artistic decision
and precise quantitive criteria aren't going to nail it.

BUT as a practical point, for those who are looking for an existing
system to relate, compare and name colors, I think Dennis is on the
right track mentioning Munsell. Why? Munsell is used by soil
scientists and geologists to describe natural minerals and soil
mixtures. It has high precision and a good working vocabulary for
colors in the red, ochre, orange, maroon, and brown ranges. Thus,
it's robust where Pantone is a no-show.

At least that's my experience,as a modeler and a scientist who has
messed around with soils some, and as a sometime, non-professional
artist, NOT a color expert. Soil scientists are concerned with the
exact same fine distinctions modelers are when we agonize over the
character of "boxcar red," and they are doing this in the field under
varied light, moisture, and textural conditions, and worried about the
translation to lab conditions too. That's got close physical and
perceptual similarity to the problem we face translating prototype to
model. They've had maybe some two hundred years to make up their
minds, and they use Munsell.

Never thought I'd have anything novel to say on this subject (and
perhaps I still haven't; I confess to not actually searching the
archive for "Munsell").

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Storzek" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@> wrote:

There is a need for documenting colors used by the railroads and
coming up with some
method(s) of communicating them.
Charlie,
... Now add an axle
perpendicular to the wheel, with the top being white and the bottom
being black. That is the basic concept of Munsell color system. Any
color should be able to be described by a spot in the resulting
sphere, which is a combination of its hue H from the wheel, it's
chroma C, the distance from the center on the wheel, and its value V,
its distance above or below the wheel. H V/C describes the color.