Re: anthracite hoppers/ MP large Buzzsaw scheme

ottokroutil

Recently I came across an excellent photo of a coal train with a
number of MP hoppers (page 25 of SFRH&M Society's 1st Quarter
Warbonnet)taken in San Bernardino, purportedly "about 1950". Couple
of the hoppers have the large buzzsaw logo on the right and the
slanted "Eagles" lettering in the center. They appear to be freshly
painted, white on black I presume. I am attempting to date the photo
and I am interested in learning as to when the large buzzsaw/Eagles
scheme first went into effect?
Will ppreciate any help.
Regards, Otto Kroutil

On Mar 3, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I don't know if anthracite was found along the MP, but I've
seen photos of lots of MP coal hoppers in the Santa Fe yard
in San Bernadino, California. I guess this coal came from
Missouri or Illinois.
In the '50s coal for the Kaiser steel mill at Fontana came across
Cajon
Pass in MoPac hoppers, though I don't know where it came from.
The
Kaiser mill was the only So. Calif. recipient of coal in
significant
amounts.

Richard Hendrickson