Re: Munsell Book of Color... Try interlibrary loan

VINCE PUGLIESE

I believe the color system referenced by Mr Rimmel was
published as the Methuen Handbook of Color which is
out of print though I have seen copies fetching
upwards of $700CDN. The Munsell system is still in
print and as has been alluded is quite expensive no
doubt due to the "printing" process.

Oddly enough, Methuen references are typically used by
WWI modelers; the "rest" of the scale modelling
community typically cite FS595b references. The FS595b
is a US Government standard used to define how
vehicles and the like will be painted. It is not a
color system like Munsell, but rather a color
collection with all of its inherent limitations.
It might be possible to use this as a standard going
forward.

.vp

--- Charlie Duckworth <trduck@...> wrote:

A mere $625. It doesn't surprise me, when I had to
buy a Pantone book
The search goes on.
Dennis
Dennis - I've checked out the Munsell book several
times through
Interlibrary loan and copied the pages I was
interested in on a color
copier. While I didn't have the originals the color
copies met my own
needs. Ray Rimmell (Albatros Prubications) has
published over 100
Datafiles on WWI aircraft and began using the
Munsell system to
describe British PC10 (brown dope) and German greens
and mauves when he
fist started. While not a perfect system he at
least allow modelers to
get a close range than merely describing a 'dark
green'. It would be
helpful if we have a list of railroads and Munsell
codes so one could
at least know what BCR to mix for a railroad they
weren't familiar
with. I am wanting to build a CoG 40' automobile
boxcar and would like
to be somewhat close in my color choice and a
Munsell code would
help.

Charlie