Re: 1950's Auto Transport Trailers

Donald B. Valentine

Al and all,

The funny part of some of these early auopt carriers was the way
they were designed. Until recent years when it was sold out to Hertz
one of the better known brands of auto-carriers were the Delevan
trailers. A daughter of the founder of the company is a friend whom I
asked some ten years ago if any plans for post-war car trailers that
Delevan constructed might still exist. She checked with her oldest
brother and was told that their father never had blueprints drawn up
as we might expect. Rather, they covered a wall the length of what
they inteded to construct with paper, drew the inteded trailer on the
paper and went to work to construct it! No, I am not joking. Many of
the parts were standard items purchased outside, axles, wheels and
such. The rest was constructed of standard steel shapes and sheet
metal in much the same way that Mather put their railroad cars
together. Guess those were just simpler times but "Delevan Delivers"
with the workhorse emblem trailers were still often seen until about
2000.

Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., water.kresse@... wrote:

Brian,

The mainstream means of automobile transporting out of the assembly
plants in the 1950's was still auto-rack box cars. They were
beginning to use direct haul truck tractor (cab over engine) and
trailers in the early 1950s. There were a few (two or three? GTW,
PRR? others?) experimental flat cars with Evans Products racks made
in the mid-1950s. The C&O made up drawings and got patents in 1956
but didn't appear to have made any six-auto, double deck 56-ft flat
cars. The 85-ft TOFs (two truck trailers) showed up in the late
50s. Direct drive up the end with ramps flat cars with racks didn't
become popular in the assembly plants until the mid 60s. If you can
rails/guides to ship buggies and carriages on.

Al Kresse

From: "brianehni" <behni@...>
I'd like to model one of these as an early TOFC load, but can't
seem to find any plans.

Has anyone here got a set that would look right for mid-50's?

Brian Ehni

P.S. I seem to be unable to post messages here and on PCL via
email; I have to come to the
web site; anyone else having problems?