Re: Brake Equipment for SFRD Rr-7 Reefers

Richard Hendrickson

On May 22, 2008, at 2:03 PM, John Hile wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "yingstco" <flyingy@...> wrote:

I am working on a Sunshine kit for the above mentioned car and
have a
question. The car has the replacement Murphy panel steel roof.

When this roof was added, would the brake equipment have been
upgraded
to the AB system at the same time? Would the handbrake have been
changed to the power type?
Hello Dave,

According to the Jan 1, 1951 ATSF Freight Car Folio, there were 343
live Rr-7 reefers. Of those, 335 had steel riveted ("Murphy") and 8
had outside flexible metal roofs. All are listed as having Ureco hand
brake but no notation of "AB" brakes having been installed. Of
course, cars did receive AB brakes yet retain their Ureco vertical
staff mechanism as documented by a photo in the Santa Fe Reefer Book.

The Santa Fe Reefer Book mentions six Rr-7 cars still in need of AB
brakes as of December 1, 1952 - with plans to replace them by end of
the year. It also states that AB brakes and Ajax power hand brakes
were "frequently" applied when the Murphy roofs were installed, but
not always.

All good information, but I can take it just a bit further. I have a
photo from the J. Michael Gruber collection of Rr-7 SFRD 24594 at
Waterford, Ont. Feb. 2, 1949. At that time the car had a Murphy
steel roof, AB air brakes, vertical staff hand brake, and relatively
dirty post-1940 but pre-1944 paint and lettering with periods in the
reporting marks and straight-line map with "Ship." What the photo
doesn't tell us, unfortunately, is what slogan was stenciled on the
opposite side of the car.

Richard Hendrickson