Re: Georgia RR cars (was Not boxcar red)

Bruce Smith

On Thu, May 22, 2008 5:04 pm, timboconnor@... wrote:
From: "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...>
But, how did you plan to use the foil on the Wabash car? Looks
interesting, and I'm ALWAYS interested in new techniques.
I was thinking of just covering the scribed wood. But the foil may
be too thin for this application. I'm more likely to use aluminum
HVAC tape, which is thicker and has a strong adhesive backing.
I've used it to build very small details like brackets and gussets.

Tim O'
Tim,

The foil is far too thin. It conforms to the details and would nicely
show the scribed wood below it. For a really radical solution, why not
remove the sheathing by sanding the back of the side and replace it with
styrene or brass. Mont Switzer did this on an Intermountain PRR USRA gon
a few years back... of course, he didn't have to do the sanding part as
the wood sides are separate on that model ;^)

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL