Re: New Standards for Freight Cars Models

David North <davenorth@...>

Bureaucracy is the structure and set of regulations in place to control
activity, usually in large organizations and government. As opposed to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhocracy> adhocracy, it is represented by
standardized procedure (rule-following), formal division of powers,
hierarchy, and relationships. In practice the interpretation and execution
of <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policy> policy can lead to informal
influence. It is a concept in <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociology>
sociology and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_science> political
science referring to the way that the administrative execution and
enforcement of legal rules are socially organized. Four structural concepts
are central to any definition of bureaucracy:

1. a well-defined division of administrative labor among persons and
offices,

2. a personnel system with consistent patterns of recruitment and stable
linear careers,

3. a hierarchy among offices, such that the authority and status are
differentially distributed among actors, and

4. formal and informal networks that connect organizational actors to
one another through flows of information and patterns of cooperation.

Examples of everyday bureaucracies include
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government> governments,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_force> armed forces,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation> corporations,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital> hospitals,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court> courts,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_%28government_department%29>
ministries and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School> schools.

Hi Tony

Given the above definition of bureaucratic, as a past NMRA board member I
thank you for your compliment.

And I reckon both you and Richard are older than me (and I wasn't the
youngest Director), so that hardening of the arteries chip might be
misdirected (VBG)

As to "quite political"? Yep, that's true.

And you can "do standards yourself". Just might mean that no-one else agrees
or adheres to them.

Establishing industry standards is a different thing.

And then having some way to motivate everyone to comply is another level
altogether.

Seriously, what do people expect the NMRA to do when a manufacturer doesn't
comply?

We don't issue a C&I Certificate. Someone recently suggested elsewhere that
manufacturer be verbally abused.

He needs to get a reality check. This is a business relationship.

Most manufacturers see the advantage to them of using the standards

a) They don't have to reinvent the wheel - the standard is there to
use cost free

b) Their products will interchange with others - which should make
them more attractive to consumers

But no one can MAKE them use the standards. It's their prerogative to build
things as they wish.

What I believe will provide the best result is for modelers to contact the
manufacturer and voice their discomfort.

I personally feel there is a pressing need for a coupler/coupler box
standard. I recently bought some new Athearn RTR, and found while fitting
KDs that the post inside the box was a bigger diameter than the traditional
size. So I had to shave down the diameter. Didn't take long, but I really
shouldn't have to do it.

What leaves me confused is why some designer at Athearn decided to change
what Athearn have used for the last 40? years at least.

What chance have we as hobbyists got, when a company doesn't comply with ITS
OWN standards?

Cheers

Dave North