Re: P&WV "Symbol of Service" paint scheme

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

Ed;

I should have known if someone had the knowledge, it would be you! Thanks
for setting me straight on that. I also went back and re-read some of your
earlier replies on the P&WV box cars and you definitely saved me a lot of
re-work on several fronts. I do not have the heart to go back and re-work
the underframe of the PS-1 to represent the earlier version, but it is
starting to look pretty good, otherwise.

I took a few minutes to look at that "color" shot on the P&WV website, and am
still convinced it has been "worked". A black P&WV box car with a 1954
scale/repaint date is still something I would like to see more evidence of.
The P&WV book has some insights on when they started to paint box cars black,
and I think it was 1958 or '59, according to them. I guess a good
representation of the P&WV would include some care to get this right.

I am also nearly done with the P&WV 7200-series container-service "Beth" gon,
and used Jack Consoli's P&WV decals to letter it, but the small lettering
right of the capacity data is still a mystery. Thanks to all that provided
input on that project, too!

BTW, RPC #17 is a GREAT read! The photos on the USRA cars and rebuilds are a
huge resource, and I am eagerly awaiting Pt 2 of the Airslide article.

Elden Gatwood

________________________________

#1231, RK. 4-54 reweigh, symbol of "Service" slogan, Col. Chet McCoid
photo at Tacoma, Washington, 2-18-55, Bob's Photo.
#1236, RK. 4-54 reweigh, symbol of "Service" slogan, Paul Dunn photo
ca. 1956, Richard Burg collection.
#1314, RK. 3-59 reweigh, symbol of "Service" slogan, Jay Williams
collection.
#1356, MAD. 11-52 reweigh, no slogan, Paul Dunn photo ca. mid-1950s,
Bob Lorenz collection.
#1358, BC 6-53 reweigh, no slogan, W.C. Whittaker photo 5-29-55 at
Portland, Oregon. (original paint)
#1375, NEW 11-48, no slogan, George Sisk photo June 1949 at Joplin,
Missouri. (original paint)
#1384, RK. 1-64 reweigh, symbol of "Service" slogan, Bob Lorenz
collection.
#1392, RK. 11-57, no slogan, photo taken 12-12-57 at Providence, R.I.,
Bob's Photo. (original paint)

I cannot tell with any degree of certainty what color these cars were.
The 1236 doesn't look black, but the photo was taken with full sunlight
on the broadside view, so anything is possible. I wonder if Paul Dunn
made any comments about the color on the negative sleeve.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins