Re: another caboose construction question

proto48er

Was this the "mule hide roof" used on passenger equipment in the
steam era? I was eating at the Machine Shop restaurant in Olathe,
Kansas some years ago, right under an old porcelan sign that
advertised "Mule Hide Roofing" for barns, etc. (I was hoping that
there would be a lathe or milling machine or two in there, but it was
a restaurant themed on crop harvesting-type machines instead!)

Inquiring minds want to know! A.T. Kott

--- In STMFC@..., "Dennis Storzek" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@> wrote:

Did wood cabooses have tar paper (or maybe car cement?) on their
roofs
in the steam era?

It's logical, particularly if the crew slept in them.

Ed

Ed,

Railroads typically didn't use tar paper (roofing felt) on
equipment,
because it didn't hold up to the rigors of the service. Typical
caboose roofs on wood cars were canvas stretched over a smooth
arched
roof, either painted, or coated with tar. This is a technique long
used on ships to make a water tight coating.

Some cars have peaked roofs with the boards exposed; these were
typically two layers of boards with a layer of roofing felt in
between. The outer layer pg boards protected the felt from both wind
and weather.

Dennis