Re: another caboose construction question

train_junkie

In the 1909 Haskell & Barker plan I have for WP and D&RG cabooses, the
roofing material is simply listed as 'Cotton Duck 110" Wide'. Is it
possible that canvas, Mule Hide and cotton duck are all the same basic
material?

Mike Mucklin

That's cool.

"Waterproof canvas"... similar to a tarp. "Plastic car roofing" in
1928 I think would be asphalt emulsion, like car cement. The term
persists today as "plastic roof patching compound."

I suppose if a diagram listed "Mule-Hide roof", it means it's a canvas
roof, or a canvas roof coated with asphalt.

Dennis.