Re: New file uploaded to STMFC...slightly OT...

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Many steam loco's assigned to B&M passenger service into the 1950's
had large generators on them to provide an early version of head-end
power. This was trainlined through the cars via jumpers from car to
car. Maybe these cars were fitted to run on B&M passenger trains?

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "railsnw1" <railsnw@...> wrote:

Rod,

Mystery pipe appears to be a conduit for electricity since it
appears
that those are plugs at the end of the car.

Richard Wilkens

--- In STMFC@..., Rod Miller <rod@> wrote:

Hi Folks,

Four photos of the GPEX car that
I asked about have been uploaded to the files
section.

While taking the photos and being in a little
less of a hurry, I noticed that what I concluded
yesterday were ice hatches [because the car has the
appearance from the side of a
refrigerator car] were the usual house car corner
roofwalks. Donald Valentine commented that milk
had a very high "thermal inertia" and didn't need
to be iced. His comment reminds me of a posting
perhaps here about an experiment where a load of
milk was shipped from Chicago to Florida in the
summer. The milk temperature was up one degree IIRC
after several days in an insulated but not iced car.
If the person who originally posted that information
sees this post, hopefully they will update/correct
what I wrote.

Rod

STMFC@... wrote:
Hello,

a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the STMFC
group.

File : /O Scale GPEX Express Milk Car/GPEX1.jpg
Uploaded by : howmanycats <rod@>
Description : GPEX express milk car, side view. Private road
name.

You can access this file at the URL:
20Express%20Milk%20Car/GPEX1.jpg

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/web/index.htm