Re: anthracite hoppers

olin4812

Tim O'Connor wrote:
I do know MP and Southern hoppers came into Pueblo on the MP. During
the beet season open hoppers were in great demand and you could see a
real mish-mosh of different owners' cars loaded with beets. And coal
was loaded on the 'Colorado & Wyoming' branch out of Laramie; I don't
know if any of it was sent to CF&I in Pueblo.
Evelyn Coal in NW Arkansas on the MP was the supplier used to
obtain "low volatility" coal by CF&I in the early 1950's to mix in with
the "high volatility" coal of the Grande to improve the coking
qualities. This is very likely the source of many MP hoppers in Pueblo.

Olin Dirks
Omaha, NE