Re: How about creating a model prototype database?

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

A little explanation is in order---

What my orignal posting was about was in reply to Marty McGuirk's
posting regarding people asking about stuff in a group such as STMFC
without first checking the archived messages. Being first a CN/proto-
freelance railway modeller, I am way out of my depth exploring
nuances of steam-era IC hopper cars, and know it. But I also know a
list or two where I can get some solid info to start me in the right
direction ;)

If I was after instant gratification, I'd have left this hobby a long
time ago. So I too make the trips and calls to the archives and
photo sellers (they know my interests, and tell me if they have any
new Lindsay, ON photos every time that I see them at a train show) to
get info on stuff such as that GTR/CN slide-valve 2-6-0 that I want
to build in HO before I die.

To me, research has become a hobby in itself. Every new photo or
piece of information helps me mentally assemble the jigsaw puzzle
that was that location, car, or loco that is now gone or changed
forever. Consequently, I have way too many books, binders, and files
of RR stuff (unknown linear footage, and accrued over many, many,
years) for my wife's liking. I'm lucky to have been married for 21
years!

Hope that you enjoyed that Scotch, and no offence taken. I have big
shoulders.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Schuyler Larrabee"
<schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Eventually I found it, but it took a bit of looking

Steve Lucas.

"Took a bit of looking." Well, geez, yeah, finding information CAN
take a bit of looking. It can
take a LOT of looking. I did drawings of ERIE 0-6-0s, for my own
pleasure and eventually, for
publication in The Diamond, the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society
magazine. I started having basic
erecting drawings, side elevation and a couple of sections, plus
the rear end. But it took me THREE
AND A HALF YEARS to get all the info I really needed to do the
locomotive in both the Stephenson and
Baker valve gear versions, plus two tender variants. I wound up in
three archives (California
State, SMU, and another one that escapes me at the moment, as well
as significant help from Ed King,
who actually >understands< how valve gear works, and more personal
photo collections than I can
remember. I have a binder with over 120 images of ERIE B5 and B6
engines.

Sorry to blast YOU, Steve, but you tipped over my apple cart on
this issue. I'm amazed at the
impatience of people if the information they want isn't available
Right Now, Right Here.

OK, OK, I'll go get my glass of Scotch . . . tough day at the
office, sorry . . .

SGL