Re: Color Matching for Freight Cars

randyhees <hees@...>

--- In STMFC@..., water.kresse@... wrote:

C&O 1920s cabeeses were apparently painted Metallic or Princes
Brown, was this a gloss rating or a redness rating say over C&O
Freight Car Brown of that era?

Al Kresse
Prince's Metalic Paint was a high end mineral red paint... from a
1883 ad in Painting and Painters' Materials, published by the
Railroad Gazette...

"Prince's Metallic Paint Contains 72% of Per [sic]Oxide of Iron and
28% of Drier. It is better than Venetian Red, Red Lead, or an Iron
Oxide because it contains a natural drier, will not fade, scale or
chalk off, and will cover twice as much surface as White or Red
Lead. Sulphurous gasses and salt air do not affect it... We only
make one color "Brown""

Similarly, the SP (and UP) "box car red" color at the turn of the
century was called "Metallic" as a reference to the use of iron
oxide as a base. We did a match for a narrow gauge box restoration
(from fragments found on the car body) and the SP color was a very
brown BCR, similar to Hershey bar when fresh.

All linseed oil paints are glossy when fresh. They weather to a
flatter, greyer color over a couple of years (this might be a
modeling issue... linseed oil paints do weather differntly than the
later enamels.)

I suspect the biggest change in the color of SP Metallic came in the
1920's when they changed from linseed oil based paints to automotive
enamel style paint. We have one SP car which stayed in service until
1960, its paint is noticably redder than the turn of the century
color.

Randy Hees
www.spcrr.org

From: "Mike Brock" <brockm@...>
Walter Clark writes:

"Mike, UP "Boxcar Red," which is actually named Metallic was (I
understand) more red and less brown than the SP paint of the same
name, at least by WWII. Back when Mr. Harriman combined UP, SP
etc.,
into the group that was later broken up after his death
the "Metallic"
was the same for SP and UP (and the others). Now, when did they UP
and SP start to drift apart on their definition of Metallic?"

I'll let SP gurus...Tony Thompson?...respond about SP. According
to the late
Terry Metcalfe in his UP frt cars 1936-51, Metallic was replaced
by
Synthetic Red in 1937 beginning with the B-50-22 and 23 classes.
Terry
believed that Synthetic Red was a little bit redder than Metallic.
Terry
suggested that Scalecoat Oxide Red was a good choice for either. I
think
Polyscale Oxide Red is a good choice. It certainly gets you in the
ball
park.

In 1941 you would see both paints in use. I doubt that you could
tell which
one was on a car due to reasons that, if we don't now know, we'll
never
know...

Mike Brock