Re: Taking Apart a Sunshine Model

golden1014

Mike, All,

Thanks for all the great ideas on how to de-construct a resin model.

The problem is that this SAL round-roof box car has a huge, thick
roof casting and the body did not assemble properly. I assembled it
once and did a poor job, and used debonder to disassemble it. I
assembled it again and this time used a lot of ACC, and it still
didn't fit right. This time I can't get it apart. I'll try the
debonder you mentioned, and if that doesn't work try some straight
acetone.

If nothing else works, I'll try the Leica method. Maybe an old Nikon
would work?

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

--- In STMFC@..., "itc_725" <emfour@...> wrote:

John, I've had good fortune using Uncure, a 30-120 second ACC
debonder
which was custom-labeled for the LHS. I kept the joint coated with
Uncure using a Q-tip, then gently started working the parts apart.
It
does take almost the entire two minutes to loosen but once the
joint
separation starts, it's a piece o' cake. Uncure turns the ACC into
gooey paste which cleans right off with NO damage to the resin
parts
and NO marring of the surfaces. Uncure is also handy to remove the
errant glob of ACC which can otherwise mar a model's surface.

Mike Fortney

--- In STMFC@..., John Golden <golden1014@> wrote:

Gentlemen,

I have a Sunshine box car kit (Seaboard DD auto car)
that did not go together well. I need to de-bond the
ACC I used to fix the roof to the sides. Does anyone
have any foolproof ideas on how to debond the ACC?
Yes, I've used ACC de-bonder, and I've tried freezing
it, but nothing's worked. Thanks!

John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

Co-Hosting the 2008 St. Louis RPM Meet
15 & 16 August, 2008
Gateway Convention Center, Collinsville, IL

Check out photos from the 2006 St. Louis RPM Meet at
http://www.pbase.com/golden1014/2006_st_louis_rpm_meet&page=all