Re: Swift's Brookfield Butter "Meat" Reefer

Richard Stern <rstern1@...>

I don't want to disagree with Richard Hendrickson . I've read his posts on
various lists and have always been thoroughly impressed with the depth and
breadth of his knowledge.

That said, the comment about billboard reefers being banned raises a
question in my mind. Recalling (in increasingly dim memory) my graduate
classes on transportation regulation (a class no longer needed, taught be a
professor who was certainly put into retirement by the industry's
deregulation), the reason the ICC banned billboard ads on freight cars was
that shippers would often find their shipments in cars advertising their
competitors. IIRC, the ban did not affect cars in captive service to a
specific shipper, nor to those owned by a specific shipper and used only for
their products. Thus, you still saw fairly bright cars with advertising
slogans after the ban, and even today see a few advertising slogans on
privately owned cars.

So, it would seem to me the Brookfield cars, if Swift still owned the
subsidiary through WWII, may have lasted significantly later than 1938?

Comments?

Rick

PS: Ever heard of a rate shark? A truly important function in the old days
of regulation.

As the book explains, billboard reefers were banned by the ICC
effective in 1934, with all cars having such stenciling to be
repainted by 1938.