Re: Swift's Brookfield Butter "Meat" Reefer

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Stern wrote:
That said, the comment about billboard reefers being banned raises a question in my mind . . . the reason the ICC banned billboard ads on freight cars was that shippers would often find their shipments in cars advertising their competitors.
The right answer, RIchard, would be to wait a bit for the book to emerge and read it for yourself, but in brief, not only was this NOT the reason, it was not even mentioned. The fact is that the billboard painting was done for cars under lease to a particular shipper, not for cars in general service.

IIRC, the ban did not affect cars in captive service to a specific shipper, nor to those owned by a specific shipper and used only for their products.
Not at first, but yes, over time an understanding emerged that long-term use or ownership of a car permitted the owner to put logos on the car, but NOT product advertising unless that product, and only that product, was going to be inside the car. For that reason, all the meat reefers quickly dropped mentioning individual products.
For more, particularly about the rebating practices which ACTUALLY caused the ICC decision, I commend the book to you.

Publishers of books on railroad history