Re: Red Caboose TW class CDLX wine car

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 13, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
In the 1930s California Despatch Line had some wine tank cars which
consisted of six tanks in wood racks installed in second-hand PFE
cars. Will Whittaker photographed a couple of these cars in the late
1930s, out of service by that time but still with fancy billboard
paint and lettering schemes.
Description of the PFE sale to CDLX, and the Whittaker photos,
are in the PFE book, Chapter 4. But neither Whittaker image shows a
"Fruit Industries" paint scheme, nor do I think RC did one on the PFE
body. Moreover, such cars were not AAR class TW, which was a wooden
container class. As Bruce was thinking, RC certainly DID do a "Fruit
Industries" scheme on their welded tank car.

On re-reading the files, I see that Tony is correct; my apologies to
Bruce. The RC "Fruit Industries" tank car was based on another Will
Whittaker photo taken in 1-41 of a CDLX tank car built in the 1920s
by the Standard Tank Car Co. California Despatch Line did not own
postwar AC&F ICC-103W tank cars, so the model is obviously wrong with
that P/L scheme, and it is doubtful that the Fruit Industries
billboard P/L scheme was still in circulation in the mid-1950s.

Richard Hendrickson