Re: Swift's Brookfield Butter "Meat" Reefer

Jerry <jrs060@...>

Well Don, let me see if I can help you here. If you look on page #45 of
the Carstens Publications book, Grand Trunk Heritage by Phill Hastings,
you shall find a photo of one "second out", as we railroads use to say, in
in a Grand Trunk freight train. The photo is not the best, halftone to be
sure, but you can clearly see it has only two hinges on each door, and is
in the 1950's red and white paint scheme.
I think I have seen another photo of a Swift car with two hinges per
door, but to tell you the truth, I can't at this moment tell you were.

Happiness, Jerry Stewart

In a rain soaked Woodstock, Illinois

--- In STMFC@..., "Donald B. Valentine" <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

The problem with the Atlas meat reefer is that it was an odd
design used primarily by the Cudahy Packing Co. and very few, if any,
other meat packers, even though constructed by General American. The
most unusual, and distinguishing, feature of the car is the use of
only two hinges on each half of the door rather than the usual three.

I'd be VERY surprised to find that Swift ever used any of these
oddities. Your best bet for good Swift reefers are those Marty Lofton
offered in his Sunshine line of resin kits. Good models of meat
reefers in injection molded cars are hard to come by. Other than the
Mather meat reefers in the Red Caboose or InterMountain line I cannot
think of a single injection molded model of a meat reefer that the
majority on this list would accept without a considerable reworking.

Don Valentine