Re: Propane

michael bishop <goldrod_1@...>

Propane or LP was shipped by rail starting in the in 30's. By 1945 sales of Propane had reached 1 billion gallons. If rural Kansas was using by then I do not know.

Michael

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...> wrote:
There was a propane jobber on Santa Fe's Alma branch. No one locally
seems to know when it first appeared. Joe Lewis who worked as a
brakeman and conductor on the Alma branch mixed doesn't remember it.
It is on a Santa Fe station plat last revised in 1962. I am trying to
determine if it could have been there during my May 1943 modeling
date. Was propane shipped via rail in 1943? Would propane have been
used as a fuel in rural Kansas at that time? Or, was the propane
jobber probably from the 1950s or 1960s?
Jared Harper
Athens, GA