Re: 40 ' Auto Boxcars

Donald B. Valentine

Agreed in both cases but with Armand being a Rutland/CV/CNR
modeler he can acquire a car seen more often in such use by using an
Accurail #4000 series and our Standard Car Co. #5000 1/2 Door Add-On
Kit. This item was based on Richard Hendrickson's article on such a
conversion to acquire a GTW 1 & 1/2 door auto car in RMJ how many
years ago? These cars were used in auto service into New England,
mostly by Ford it appears, and some were later converted for the
shipment of engine blocks to various Ford assembly plants. In the era
in question that also would have included the Somerville, Mass. plant
with a GTW-CV-B&M car routing.

Those interested can view the results by going to
www.newenglandrail.com, clicking on "products" and scrolling to the
bottom of the page. Anyone on this list should have little or no
trouble making good use of the kit. It should also be noted that I am
still looking for a potential steel sheathed prototype to offer such
a kit for a steel 1/2 door add-on. Any suggestions?

Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "Bill Schneider" <branchline@...> wrote:

I would also put in a plug for one of Ted's own kits -
http://www.speedwitch.com/Models/kc104.htm

Of course, I might be biased - he started with a pretty nice set of
plastic parts... :>)

Bill Schneider